Money and wellbeing

Having debts, or struggling to get by on a low income can really affect your wellbeing and happiness. Having poor mental health or suffering from mental illness can also make it hard to deal with money and keep on top of things.

It’s important that you take care of yourself and don’t let things overwhelm you. There is a huge amount of support out there for dealing with debts or money problems, or indeed any of the problems that come from this, so remember that you’re not on your own. There are a number of organisations and charities that can help.


Support with Mental Wellbeing

Mind is a national charity who provide information and advice to people experiencing or supporting people with mental distress - their site is here and has a lot of information and advice. If you are in Manchester, the Manchester branch of Mind are: here and if you’re 16 – 25 in Manchester you can access the Young Adults Services & Projects (YASP) as part of Mind here

In Manchester, Self Help Services is a mental health charity which ‘helps people to help themselves’. They provide a range of support, services and opportunities for people living with common mental health problems such as anxiety, depression, phobias and panic attacks. Their website is here.

‘Campaign Against Living Miserably’ offer great support and advice aimed at men. Their website is here and they have a helpline which is open from 5pm to midnight - 0800 58 58 58. You can also text them on 07537 404717 or chat to them through the website.

The Samaritans are a charity who provide emotional support to anyone in emotional distress, struggling to cope, or at risk of suicide. The Samaritans website is here or you can call them on 08457 90 90 90. Their helpline is open 24 hours a day.

If you are unsure of how to access any of these services, your GP can assist you or refer you to them.  Many of these organisations will also offer help or advice for people supporting others.


Help with other issues

There are a wide range of other issues that can negatively impact your wellbeing and can make you struggle with money. There is a wealth of support for all of these issues - the below links are just some examples of where you can seek help and advice.


Information from NHS Choices, including links to a number of organisations who can help - here

You can also get information and support from Alcoholics Anonymous or Drink Aware

If you are living in Manchester and wish to seek support with an alcohol problem, the Manchester Rise Intake service (run by ADS) is 0800 988 1948 or their site is here.



You can get current benefits and entitlement information from the Gov.UK website - here.

You can also carry out benefits calculations for guidance with an independent site such as Entitled To.

Websites such as Citizens Advice also have great information on benefits and advice on any problems you may come across. Disability Rights UK have great information and factsheets.



Cruse provide support to people who have experienced bereavement, their site is here. NHS 'Live Well' also has articles and information about support for bereavement here.

You can access advice and information on practical matters from the Bereavement Advice Centre or from Citizens Advice.

There is information to do with benefits and payments relating to bereavement from Gov.UK .


Children or pregnancy

You can get pregnancy and baby information from NHS Choices - here or you can access help through your GP.

For advice on parenting and family issues you can contact Family Lives through their website or their helpline - 0808 800 2222.

If you are a single parent, Gingerbread provide information, advice and support through their website or their helpline - 0808 802 0925.


Crime or emergencies

Victim Support offer practical help, emotional support, and information to people who have been victims of crime. Their site is here

Gov.UK also have some information for victims of crime here

You can also access the emergency services by calling 999.


Domestic abuse

If you or someone you care about is a victim of domestic abuse or you think you or they may be in an abusive relationship, there is a lot of help out there. The National Domestic Violence Helpline is staffed 24 hours a day and can offer support, help and information over the telephone, wherever the caller might be in the country. All calls are strictly confidential. You can contact them on 0808 2000 247 or their site is here.

It is run in partnership with Refuge and Women's Aid

Men can also be victims of domestic abuse - the Men's Advice Line is 0808 801 0327 (9am - 5pm) or their site is here.

There is a lot of other information and support available on the internet, and don't forget - in an emergency you can call the police on 999.

It's important to remember that relationships do not have to be violent to be classed as abusive, and this does not just apply to couples - it can be between family members too. There is lots of non-judgemental, confidential support available.



If you are concerned about your drug use, or someone you know using drugs, you can get help and information from Frank - the helpline is 0300 123 6600 - all calls are confidential. Their site is here

If you are living in Manchester and wish to seek support with a drug problem, the Manchester Rise Intake service (run by ADS) is 0800 988 1948 or their site is here. If you are under 18 in Manchester and wish to access this help you can contact Lifeline Eclypse - 0161 273 6686 or here.



GamCare - here; and Gamblers Anonymous - here both provide information, advice, and support to people who feel their gambling may be a problem.



If you are homeless or worried you may soon be, you can get advice from organisations like Shelter or Crisis.

If you are living in Manchester and you are homeless or in danger of becoming homeless, information from Manchester City Council is here. The city council homelessness service can also signpost you to the wide range of hostels and day centres in the city who can also offer help and support, food, activities, or accommodation.


Illness or Disability

If you are struggling with illness or disability, many charities provide support and assistance with specific illnesses, disabilities, or conditions, such as Macmillan who support people with cancer, or the Alzheimer's Society who support people with Alzheimer's and dementia. You can access many of these organisations directly either over the phone or through their websites.

There are also local and organisations who provide health information and support to different groups, such as older people or people from different communities.

The first point of call to find out information of specific or local assistance is your GP, who will refer you if needed and also be able to help you access any local schemes that can support you.

If your ill health is impacting on your ability to work, or if you have a disability that you need support for, you may be entitled to certain benefits to assist you. You can check your entitlement on the Gov.UK website.

A great place to find information on disability rights, living with disabilities, or entitlements to support and assistance is the Disability Rights website. In Manchester, the Greater Manchester Coalition of Disabled People is a good source of help or information.


Relationship breakdown

Relate are a national charity who offer counselling, support and information for all types of relationships - whether family or couples.

You can get advice or information on your rights or practical steps from Citizens Advice here.

If you are parents and you wish to resolve relationship issues that might be affecting your ability to parent effectively, there are projects such as 'Parents as Partners' run by Family Action.

There is a lot of support out there for you as an individual or as part of a couple or family. You can often find out about local provision through your GP.

If you are worried about a violent or abusive relationship there is information in our 'domestic abuse' section. It's important to remember that relationships do not have to be violent to be classed as abusive, and this does not just apply to couples - it can be between family members too. There is lots of non-judgemental, confidential support available.



If you are thinking about retiring, there is information from Citizens Advice here.

For advice about benefits for older people you can access information about the state pension and other benefits for older people at Gov.UK here or from Citizens Advice here.


Unemployment or problems at work

If you are having issues at work, whether it's about your rights, time off or working hours, disciplinary issues, or workplace bullying you can find lots of information to help you.

There is information and advice from Citizens Advice for work here

ACAS have a range of advice and guidance about employment issues on their website here

Gov.UK also have lots of information here.