Financial products come in all shapes and sizes. It seems like there are a huge number of products to choose from, and it can be daunting or seem like you don’t know what to choose. Don’t worry – there is lots of help and information out there to help you if you know where to look.
We've put together some basic information about some of the main types of financial product – don’t worry, you don’t have to read it all! Use the buttons below to jump to the section you want to read.
Choosing a financial product
Follow these simple steps to help you choose:
- What exactly do you need? Do you need money or do you need to pay for a service?
- What product fits this need?
- What are the pros and cons of different options? It’s useful to write these down in two lists.
- What do you need to know to make the choice? Is there any help making this choice?
- Where do you get information from?
- Are there any barriers that would stop you being able to get a certain product? (e.g. credit score, ID required, CCJs)
The most important thing to help you make a safe choice is having the correct information. When you know all the options you can choose the best product for your needs.
We really recommend using comparison sites and consumer forums to help compare different products and other people’s experiences with these products. .
Try one of these comparison sites to have a look at different products (there are lots more sites out these, these are just a few examples):
Or, have a look at the Money Saving Expert website for loads of information and forums on a huge range of money topics.